Imagine and plan your holistic success.
Feeling stuck? A success coach can help you take control of your academic, personal, and professional success through awareness building, goal setting, and action planning.
What are words we hear often? Motivation, goals, procrastination, organization, productivity, and follow through. We coach these topics because solutions are not one size fits all. We support you in finding your own unique solutions through helping you better understand your own needs, tendencies, and strengths. We listen, ask questions, serve as your thinking partner, and offer you insights.
Should I meet with a Success Coach?
Meeting with a coach might be right for you if you want to:
- Reflect and build clarify on a goal, change, or improvement you want to make
- Set goals, design an action plan, and measure progress with support
- Explore purpose, values, and needs as they relate to your goals and decisions
- Establish new habits and make them stick
- Have a better sense of your priorities and better honor them
- Create more balance among your responsibilities and commitments
- Better follow your weekly schedule and/or daily to do-list
- Sharpen your focus and concentration and increase your productivity
- Work through procrastination and harness your motivators
- Learn about resources on campus that can support your goals and growth
- How is coaching different than advising or mentoring?
- We work to create space for your own problem solving and action designing by pulling back from giving advice and recommendations. We aim to mostly listen in our sessions, using questions to help you build clarity, understanding, and strategy. This means you are doing most of the talking as you craft solutions that move you forward. Also, we are not academic advisors and cannot answer questions about academic policy, course selection, or progress to degree.
- Is coaching a type of mental health support?
- We are not mental health professionals, and coaching is not therapy or counseling. Coaching instead focuses on maximizing the present and future by emphasizing solutions and actions. For mental health support visit Student Health and Counseling Services.
- Can my success coach help me improve my study strategies?
- A success coach can support you in implementing effective study strategies establishing good study habits, but we don't instruct on these topics in our sessions. If you are looking to learn new study strategies or would like your current study habits evaluated for effectiveness and efficiency, a Learning Strategies appointment with our office is more appropriate.
- Appointments are 30 minutes, and can be a one-time session or an ongoing check-in with the same coach.
- Ongoing sessions are recommended; together we can chart progress over time. Students tell us the ongoing check-ins help keep them on track.
- Please note that if you are currently signed up for a Learning Strategies appointment, the online system will not let you schedule an additional appointment with a Success Coach. In this case, call or visit 117 South Hall (530-752-4475) and we can manually schedule you the additional appointment.
- Productivity and Organization
- Designing a Weekly Schedule
Focus and Concentration
Motivate Yourself to Action
- Life Design
- Designing and Delivering Presentations
Naming Your Purpose
My Five Year Plan(s)
Upgrade Your Goal