Fall 2021 Connection Registration -- Coming in June
No Connection groups will be offered during spring quarter 2021. Fall quarter 2021 Connections will be published below by June. In the meantime follow us on Facebook and Instagram to be notified of updates. Check out the general Connection categories listed below for examples of past Connections.
It's unknown at this time if Connection groups will be meeting virtually or in-person during fall quarter. We will follow guidance as the "Campus Ready" plan continues to evolve. If in-person interaction on campus continues to be limited for fall, virtual Connections will still be fun experiences to meet great people, make new friends, explore interesting topics, and learn all about campus and what it means to be an Aggie.
Fall 2021 Timeline
- Early June - Registration opens
- Mid June - Email notifications go out
- June through September - Register for a connection
- Beginning of fall quarter - Fall welcome kick-off event
- Second week of fall quarter - Registration closes
- What is First-Year Aggie Connections?
- First-Year Aggie Connections (FYAC) groups first-year students (freshmen and transfers, including international students) into 25-person “Connections” based on a shared purpose, interest, or theme. Connections meet regularly for one academic quarter and are led by staff or faculty facilitators who engage students in discussions surrounding crucial topics related to transitioning to life at UC Davis.
- What do all Connections have in common?
- All Connections have around 25 students, meet regularly during one quarter, present a specific curriculum related to transition to UC Davis, and participate in FYAC social activities.
- Are Connections classes?
- Most Connections are not classes and do not have units associated with them. These not-for-credit Connections meet around six times throughout the quarter. However, there are a few exceptions. Each Connection is clearly labelled either “for-credit” or “not-for-credit” on the website. If you have questions, please ask!
- Can I join more than one Connection?
- Joining a Connection is a time commitment. Although most Connections do not have credits associated with them, attendance is encouraged. If you feel that you have the time for more than one Connection, feel free to join. If you've already joined multiple Connections and need to adjust your registration to fit with your class schedule, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I need help with Connection registration or troubleshooting.
- Connections with open registration are offered during the fall and winter quarters. Spring quarter Connections are only offered through existing on-campus programs.
For-credit Connection registration: find the CRN on the FYAC website and add it using Schedule Builder.
Not for credit Connection registration: follow the registration link on our website to register through AggieLife.
- Registration Troubleshooting
- Not for credit Connection registration: Follow the registration link on our website to register in AggieLife. After clicking on the registration link listed on our website, you will then register for the Connection through AggieLife. On the left side of the page, click “Continue to RSVP,” “I will be attending,” and complete the required forms. Once you’ve filled out the entire form, click “RSVP” and you have successfully registered for a Connection!
- How do I drop a Connection?
- If you are unable to stay registered, please be sure to inform the FYAC team on which Connection you will be dropping at email@example.com and update your RSVP in AggieLife and click on "I won't be attending." Once selected, you will be dropped from the connection.
- What's the difference between First-Year Aggie Connections and First-Year Seminars?
- They are separate programs, and both are open to you! First-Year Aggie Connections are small networks formed around a theme and facilitated by UC Davis faculty and staff members. Connections are exclusively for new students, so participating is a one-time opportunity! Each Connection is a maximum of 25 students and incorporates strategies for a successful transition to a large research university, as well as information about all the campus resources available to you. In addition, you'll have the option to attend activities led by peer mentors that engage you with campus culture and build connections.
Emphasizing highly participatory classroom discussions and activities, First-Year Seminars invite you to engage with your fellow students on enduring and contemporary issues, with faculty who are equally passionate about the seminar topic you select. Although any student regardless of class standing can participate in a First Year Seminar, new students are given preference in regards to registration. Take a memorable, for-credit, small-class experience that welcomes you and your peers to campus.
- How is First-Year Aggie Connections adapting to remote instruction and physical distancing?
- Connection groups will meet virtually for the 2020-2021 academic year. Facilitators (the staff and faculty members leading each group) have planned virtual campus tours, guest speakers, panels, group activities and lively discussions. Although in-person interaction is currently restricted, Connections are still fun experiences where you will meet great people, make new friends, explore interesting topics, and learn all about campus and what it means to be an Aggie.